Step 10: Clean Food, Part One
1) Increase hydration
- Try to drink at least one half ounce per pound of body weight per day.
- We like Big Berkey gravity fed filter.
- If you use reverse osmosis water you must add a mineral supplement such as ReMyte or Aussie Minerals.
- If swallowing is an issue (Bulbar ALS), start drinking carbonated water until your throat heals.
2) Eat Organic whenever possible
- Look up the “Dirty Dozen” and the “Clean Fifteen” to determine which are the most important fruits and vegetables to always eat organic.
- Buy local, freshly picked food will have more nutrients.
3) Watch for food sensitivities and allergies
- Most important is observing reactions to foods.
- You may notice a change in your gut, your stool, mood or energy level
- The Coca Pulse test is a great FREE tool for checking for sensitivities.
- Muscle testing each food is a great way to see if that food makes you strong or weak
- The AO Scan has a food sensitivities category in the Vitals Scan
- There is a skin patch test that is covered by most insurances
- The LRA test Lymphocyte Reactivity Assay is also a measure of sensitivities that are not detectable in other tests
4) Eat lots of fruits and vegetables
- Most vegetables are highly recommended.
- Low glycemic index fruits and vegetables
- Watch for high lectin content and high oxalates for those who are sensitive.
5) Eat healthy fats
- Coconut oil, MCT oil, avocado oil and olive oil if organic
- For cooking coconut oil is best since it has a higher smoking point – resists oxidation at high heat
- Eliminate vegetable oils such as corn oil, canola oil. Most oils are GMO (genetically modified).
- Avoid avocado, safflower and sunflower oils unless they are organic
6) Start a gluten free diet
- No grains with gluten such as bread, crackers & pasta. All of these are irritating to the gut and cause inflammation.
7) Dairy Free
- In our experience ALS Patients do better on a dairy free diet.
- There is medical literature to support dairy free is best.
8) Sugar Free
- Sugar causes inflammation and weakens the immune system.
- Now brand Monk Fruit tincture Nutramedix Stevia are good substitutes for sugar
- DO NOT use aspartame, advantame, Neotame, acesulfame-K, saccharine, sucralose, erythritol or other “alcohol sugars
9) Consider grain free or limited grains
- All grains are inflammatory and harder for the body to digest and turn into sugar which in turn weakens the immune system
- Make sure all meat is grass fed, organic, hormone and antibiotic free
- Needs to be wild caught.
- Farm raised fish has too many antibiotics which is contraindicated for ALS.
- Do not eat shark or swordfish or other large fish because toxins are bio-concentrated in them.
- Do not eat most shellfish because they live mostly near the bottom of the water where heavy metals accumulate.
12) Diets: Ketogenic, Paleo, Medical Medium & Wahls
- Most people do not do well on a pure ketogenic diet.
- A modified ketogenic diet is often recommended for ALS
- Some people find the Medical Medium diet most helpful.
- Others prefer a modified Terry Wahls diet (high in fresh vegetables (good), less meat is recommended for most PALS. Google for more info
- healinameal.com is a good meal replacement for one meal per day. It is raw, organic, GMO-free, gluten-free
14) Organic Feeding Tube Formula
- Avoid Ensure, and most commercial feeding tube products since they contain mostly sugar
- Homemade smoothies are a great option. You can blend the meals that you serve the rest of the family or make high nutrient smoothies or both.
- Liquid Hope is the best option among the pre-made formulas.
- Kate Farms is 2nd choice since it has quite a bit of sugar.
- Liquid Hope cost is fully covered by Medicare/Medicaid for those who are feeding tube dependent
- Check with Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers in your area to see if they are currently ordering it for others
- Get a script from your doctor with a prescription for Liquid Hope.
- Your DME should now be able to order it.
- If you are still having a problem getting any of these contact xxx at Hope-JG.org and she will walk you through the procedure.
15) Watch Food Boot Camp 1
- Link to Boot Camp
10.18.20 Boot Camp Week 1 The Basics, Diet, Supplements and Gut Function (vimeo.com)
16) Watch Coco Newton Presentation from the 2019 Healing ALS Conference
Check for Understanding and Completion of Step 10:
- ____I have increased my hydration to 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day of clean water.
- ____I eat organic whenever possible.
- ____ I watch for food sensitivities and allergies.
- ____ I eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
- ____ I eat healthy fats.
- ____ I have started a gluten-free diet.
- ____I am dairy free.
- ____I am sugar free.
- ____I am grain free or limiting grains.
- ____ I eat clean meat.
- ____ I eat clean fish.
- ____ I have reviewed the modified ketogenic diets and am finding the diet best for me.
- ____ I have HEAL on hand and understand it is a good meal replacement for one meal per day.
- ____I am finding the right feeding tube formula.
- ____I have watched Food Boot Camp 1.
- ____I have watched the Coco Newton presentation from the 2019 Healing ALS Conference.