Especially at the beginning of our healing journey, holistic medical professionals can be extremely helpful. They can help you with testing and you can benefit from their years of scientific education and clinical experience.
Please remember, however that YOU are in charge of your own health. You need to make the final decisions. It is your responsibility to research and understand your holistic doctor’s suggestions. It is also to your benefit to bring suggestions you find in your research to your doctor and get feedback and opinions.
You will probably want to start with a Functional Medical Doctor, DO or Naturopathic Doctor. There are some highly trained chiropractors (DC) practicing who may be helpful as well.
At the bottom of this document are organizations that have holistic practitioner directories in your geographical regions.
Some important points when choosing a holistic medical professional:
- Do get recommendations from others to find a reputable practitioner.
- Interview the practitioner and make sure they have the expertise you need.
- Review their website to get their background and philosophy.
- Get someone who is not going to use the same cookie-cutter approach for all patients. Ask them what testing they do and how they arrive at their treatment protocols.
- Ask them if they have had experience with ALS or success with other neurological conditions and autoimmune diseases
- Ask them their basic philosophy’s on nutrition and detoxification
- Ask them how they optimize liver function and gut function.
- Choose a practitioner who will listen to your input and work with you as a team.
- You may find you need to consult more than one doctor. One might be great in guiding you on diet, supplements and gut function but be weak on detoxification. Another might have great expertise in detoxification.
Remember, you are in charge of your own healing. The doctors you consult will give you expertise and advice.
The organizations below all have practitioner directories. Not every holistic practitioner in your area will be listed, but you will find many here.
- American College for the Advancement of Medicine. ACAM.com
- Institute for Functional Medicine ifm.org or FuctionalMedicine.org
- American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine. a4m.com
If you have silver amalgam dental fillings, crowns, root canals or possible cavitations you will want to consult a holistic dental practitioner. The following organizations have practitioner directories of trained mercury-safe dentists.